Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Halloween safety tips for pets

Halloween safety tips for petsPet parents beware. The fun of trick-or-treat night can quickly turn into a nightmare if you don't take precautions to keep your pets safe. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals asks you be on the lookout for potential dangers.

No chocolate treats: Keep candy out of your pet's reach. Chocolate, particularly dark and baking chocolate, and candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can be dangerous to dogs and cats. Call your vet or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, 888-426-4435, if you suspect your pet ate something toxic.


Decoration danger: Halloween d├ęcor such as pumpkins and colorful corn are relatively nontoxic, but they can cause stomach upset. Put carved pumpkins with burning candles where pets cannot easily knock them over. And prevent a life-threatening electrical shock by keeping wiring that lights your decorations out of pets' reach.

Wardrobe malfunctions: If you dress up your pet, make sure the costume doesn't constrict him. It should allow him to move, hear, breath and bark or meow. Also, be sure the costume is free of small pieces he might chew off and swallow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 Pets Tabloid

Back to TOP